A meal tastes even much better if the ingredients come from the kitchen garden. The kitchen garden is a cheap and easy way of growing ingredients at home. Not only this, but it also utilizes the barren area of the house into something productive. Ingredients grown at home are organic and use no pesticides or chemicals. Therefore they are healthier and tasty. One can use his skills to grow vegetables and herbs at home and utilize the spare time. Thus to enhance the skills, one can use some tips to grow food at home quickly.
Tips For Starting A Kitchen Garden
- Selection of the site- the site must receive plenty of sunlight and also some partial shade. It must have good soil and water drainage system. The area must also be flat for better gardening. One can also use a balcony, roof, or patio for gardening.
- Start simple- one should start by growing simple ingredients. It is good to start by growing tomatoes, mint, parsley, eggplant, and several other veggies.
- Start by growing veggies on a raised bed- it is beneficial to grow vegetables on a raised bed. One can fill the bed with fertile soil, keep them away from creepy crawlies, weeds, and it also reduces back pain.
- Plant vertically to save space- if a person lacks in the area, he can go for vertical planting. Not only it saves space, but it also has all the benefits that a raised bed has. It is also suitable for growing creeping plants like beans and peas.
Some More Kitchen Garden Tips
- Use the space judiciously- spacing the bed properly results in better yield. A yield can increase by up to 15% if the triangular pattern is applied.
- Practice succession planting- succession planting not only improves the yield but also fills the kitchen with vegetables throughout the year. Therefore it is the best way to grow veggies.
- Plant small plants instead of seeds every time- a seed takes more germination time; therefore, instead of waiting for the seed to germinate, it is better to plant small saplings. One can use small pots to sow the seed and grow seedlings. As the size of the seedlings grows, transfer them to the main area.
- Choose plant varieties that mature quickly- choosing such type of plants shall fill the kitchen with herbs and veggies rapidly. One will not have to wait for long for the next production.
Some Extra Tips
- Grow compatible plants together- one should grow compatible plants together that require the same kind of growing condition. This will not make the gardener wait for the turn of the next plant.
- Inter-planting is also an option- several plants can grow together that have the same requirements to develop. It saves space, repels pests, and also improves productivity.
- Practice edge planting- it means growing support plants on the edge of the bed. They act as a windbreaker, keeps away the pests, and also provide the soil with mulch.
- Deciding upon what to grow- one should grow only those veggies which he likes the most.
Applying these simple tips is secure, and one can also celebrate the joy of growing veggies by him. Gardening gives inner peace and satisfaction. Therefore one must consider kitchen gardening for a healthy life.